Many runners tend to shy away from strength training, worried that it will bulk them up and slow them down, but strength-training is extremely beneficial for runners. Here are a few reasons why:
- You’ll be more efficient! Strengthening your core can help improve and maintain your running form, which translates into greater running efficiency.
- You’ll burn more calories! Adding more muscle will increase your metabolism, which means you’ll burn more calories at rest and during workouts.
- You’ll increase your endurance and reduce fatigue! Strength training helps your body better deal with the stresses of running. Also, your muscles will be able to perform longer before getting fatigued.
- You’ll reduce your risk of injury! Many running injuries, especially knee and hip-related issues, are a result of muscle imbalances or weaknesses. Exercises that help strengthen the lower body and core can prevent these from occurring.
- You’ll run faster! Improving your form and endurance also translates into faster overall pace, so strength training is an excellent way to get faster.
You will perform better with greater strength so don’t hesitate to hit the weights!